Monday, October 26, 2009

Where The Wild Things Arent.

So I was really excited when I heard that they made a movie out of "Where The Wild Things Are." I actually went and re-read the book and then went and waited in line to by my ticket. I got my popcorn mixed some M&M's in for my girlfriend, who was equally excited because she is an education major and wants to teach first grade, and sat down to watch the movie. 94 agonizing minutes later we got up to get out of the theater and I was trying to figure out why I wanted to see it in the first place. The best part of this movie was the song they used to do the trailer, and it seemed so far from where the book was that it wasn't even based on the book except the name of the characters. When I was little I read the story and saw it as a place where anyone could go when they were mad, and when I read it again last week I a saw it as an excellent representation of how when somebody feels lonely they try to escape to feel better. The movie completely changed my perspective of what the story was really about. When you feel lonely you may find it necessary to escape, but the movie added an extra reason to make Max feel like he didn't have anyone to be with where as the book was simply about anger rather than just feeling alone. The wild Things themselves where different from the book. They seemed to have the same problems max did but they were more like relationship problems. The movie seemed to be more for teenagers and adults because it seemed to address more adult problems, and it was actually very slow between points and was extremely sad which changed a lot for me and actually ruined the book for me in some aspects because it changed the way I saw Max and his problems.