Monday, November 9, 2009

Its About Time

So this weekend was full of football woe for me. After leaving work early to watch my Bayou Bengals lost a heart/season breaker against the number 2 team in the country I was hoping maybe my Memphis Tigers could do something in Knoxville and maybe salvage something from this season. 5 UT touchdowns later I was convinced it was just a dream. Even though the Tigers managed more touchdowns this weekend then they have against almost every other team they played so far it still wasn't enough to make the sting of that 56 on that scoreboard go away. It was at this point that I became a full believer that Tommy West needed to be gone, not after the season, but at that very moment he needed to be released. I know a lot of people will disagree and bring up the 5 bowl games in the last 6 years and the fact that Tommy was the 3rd winningest coach in the programs history and that is all great except those aren't that hard to come by in Memphis. With an overall record of 49-58 over 9 seasons, not including the 2-7 record this season, him being that high on all time wins makes us look even worse. And yes we had bowl games under Tommy West but last year we went even though we had a losing record on the season and no offense to the great city of New Orleans the New Orleans bowl is about as great an achievement as the AutoZone Liberty Bowl, both require a representative from C-USA. Now that R.C. Johnson has made a decision that fans have been calling for for a few years now we can get some new blood into the Memphis football program. I personally like the idea of Tommy Tuberville becoming the coach at Memphis because he is a strong recruiter and I can see a lot of people considering Memphis because everyone knows Tuberville is a great coach. I think whoever Memphis finds to replace Coach West will do a considerably better job because lets face it, you cant really do worse.