Monday, November 16, 2009

Christmas Time

As we come down to the last few weeks of class I cant help but get excited for the holidays. I love thanksgiving because it brings the family together and the food is always delicious, and I like Christmas as well, not for the presents and things like that but because of the family members I get to hangout with. My biggest issue however is the fact that the day BEFORE Halloween I walked into WalMart and found that the Halloween stuff had already been moved and replaced by the Christmas decorations. I do not understand why Christmas takes priority over thanksgiving. I understand that Christmas is a religious holiday that millions of people celebrate, but not all Americans celebrate Christmas because millions of Americans are Jewish or Islamic and this celebration has nothing to do with their religion. Thanksgiving however is a holiday that any American can celebrate regardless of religion because it is an American holiday and well every American is an American regardless of religion. The concept of advertising all the Christmas things before thanksgiving really makes me sick. I cannot stand the fact that an overly commercialized holiday can take over an America holiday that is as important as thanksgiving. At the rate we are going within 5 years Christmas decorations will go up before the 4th of July and before we know it christmas decorations will be on the shelves year round.