Monday, December 7, 2009

So I didnt realize I wrote this and never used it as a blog.

I have never been to a poetry reading before and didn’t really know what to expect. Poetry isn’t really something I am interested in, my English teacher my senior year made us write a poem about something we had lost (I posted it as a blog several weeks ago if you would like to read it) and I enjoyed that but other peoples poetry never really set with me. As I was listening to the first poet read his work I began to think about why I was there only to remember it was required for class and tried to pay more attention but his words were so intense and deep I could stay focused and understand him. The next poet was the first to come up with anything halfway decent. His poems were funny and his story stuck with me but he was a little messed up. The first reading was about an avocado colered toilet. The poem about putting an avocado colored toilet in the back of a truck. Im not sure what the real point of this story was but the concept was definetley hilarious and the way he read his poems in such an animated way almost like he was acting them out. The difference in the way the poems were read made me realize that poetry is all about how somebody feels about what they are reading or writing. I don’t think the event was enough to make me want to go to another reading. This all goes back to the class where we read the poems where I read one and one of the female students read the poem aloud and showed us that the reader affects the meaning in a poem.