Monday, October 12, 2009

Meagan

This tale is true and mine. It tells
How I have lost a true friend, gone
And maybe never returning to the green and
Wild of Tennessee. She had gone west, and
And may never return to visit and laugh. A
Laugh that felt like a warm fire and hot
Chocolate after a day in the snow. She left
After just three years of friendship, a friendship
That blossomed like a flower on a dewy
Spring morning. We met one summer morning
After an early morning practice. Like magnets
We were instantly attracted and stayed together.
Through the rough times we stayed as strong
As steel. Even after she spent almost three months
In the hospital we acted like nothing had happened.
When she cried her tears were like the rain that cancels
Baseball games in summer. The comfort I offered was
About the only thing that could calm her and I knew
We would always be friends. When she told me she
Was leaving I might have fallen apart if it
Were not for her hug, the same hug that made a
A landfill look like Sunrise over the Grand Canyon.
If it were not for her I wouldn’t
Be the person I am today. And even though she is gone
I can still hear her laugh and know that she
Is waiting until we meet again.

I wrote this poem about my best friend my senior year of high school. It probably isn't an award winner but it made me feel better and kept me thinking about her.