Monday, October 5, 2009

Nothing To Do With Heroes

I'm not 100% sure if all of our posts are supposed to be about heroes, but I am going to write this about something else because the these blogs are hard to make all about heroes. So I recently have been considering following my friend into joining the Naval Reserves. Now I went to the recruiter out in Millington so that I could get an idea about what I would need to do, and she asked me why I wanted to join the Navy. This was a surprisingly difficult question to answer, but being put on the spot like that really got me starting to think. I considered the fact that my friend really enjoyed it, and I think I would too. I also thought about the fact that my family on both sides have been in different branches of the military and I would like to continue that tradition. It took me awhile to think why I really wanted to join the Navy. What it rally boiled down to was that this country with all of the flaws that people think it has, has provided me with the best freedoms anybody could ask for. It also provides me with the best and safest health care and also allows me to be a part of democracy that made this nation great. These freedoms I have been lucky enough to enjoy make me feel like I could give something back to help continue the availability of these freedoms with my service. I also think this will give me a chance to learn some more about serving my country as well as preparing me to learn leadership and a skill that will prepare me for a life as a civilian-sailor. Now I hope this will make other people consider finding some way to do as John F. Kennedy said and find a way to serve their country instead of expecting their country to do something for them.